4/07/2007

Passover

|

A close friend of ours was telling us yesterday that he has been celebrating Holy Week all week to take time and reflect upon the death and resurrection of Jesus. My mind has been wrapping itself around his commitment for the last 24 hours, and I have paused for many moments of reflection.

The most prevalent thought that I have had is my confusion. As Jesus sat around the Passover table with His beloved disciples they celebrated one of the biggest feasts in Jewish tradition. At this very meal, Jesus unmistakably portrayed Himself as the implementation of the New Covenant. His disciples were confused and could not understand what He was telling them. Jesus knew the perfect plan of God was underway, and yet we understand that He had both joy and sorrow rooted deeply in His heart.

While I do not understand God’s foreknowledge I have come to believe it. How often do we hear “His ways are better than our own” and truly accept His will? The disciples were just as confused when Jesus said in Matthew 26:26-28:

And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed it and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, "Take, eat; this is My body." Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."

While John the Baptist knew Jesus was the “Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29) our Savior’s disciples did not fully grasp what their, and our, redemption would entail. Jesus would exhibit faithfulness despite the impending betrayal, and Judas would display the failure of humankind through his treachery.

As I sit on the eve of Resurrection Sunday I am left in awe of Jesus’ sacrifice. I am thankful that He chose, and continues to choose, me in the midst of my perplexity and sin. I question Him, His ways, His will, and yet He continually greets me with a kiss of His mercy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Thursday or Maundy Thursday is the most profound religious observance other than Easter in Roman Catholicism. This day celebrates Christ in the form of the Eucharist. Then comes Good Friday when readings and prayers, including the reading of the Passion from the Gospel of St. John; the veneration of the cross;
All to prepare for the Glorious celebration of Jesus Rising From the Dead ... HAPPY EASTER to an awesome young lady.

mooce said...

Holy Week truly was redeeming for me. The Jesus I met this week is like none other I've ever encountered, and gives me hope in him.

Welcome on the bandwagon, by the way.