6/18/2009

Follow Your Heart

|

Our family was walking with a family friend the other day, and while I don't remember the context in which it was said, this friend said something that has given me much to think about. He said something along the lines of, "Follow your heart - yeah I'll follow my sinful heart." At the time I joked that it was the revelation of the day, but the day has turned into several days.

How many times have I heard "follow your heart" or "what do you feel in your gut?" If I truly believe that Scripture is infallible then I know that I cannot trust in my heart or my own plans to lead me. The reality of this makes me run hard and fast to Jesus, because I know apart from Him there is no goodness.

Jeremiah 17:9-10: "The human mind is more deceitful than anything else. It is incurably bad. Who can understand it? I, the Lord, probe into people’s minds. I examine people’s hearts. And I deal with each person according to how he has behaved. I give them what they deserve based on what they have done."

Ecclesiastes 9:3: "This is the unfortunate thing about everything that happens on earth: the same fate awaits everyone; The hearts of all people are full of evil, and there is madness in their hearts during their lives—then they die."

Matthew 15: 18-20: "But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these things defile a person. For out of the heart come evil ideas, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. These are the things that defile a person; it is not eating with unwashed hands that defiles a person.”


There is hope:

Psalm 25:8: "Good and upright is the LORD; therefore he instructs sinners in his ways."

Nahum 1:7: "The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; He knows those who take refuge in Him."

Zechariah 9:17 For how great is his goodness, and how great his beauty! Grain shall make the young men flourish, and new wine the young women."

Exodus 34:6: "And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth"

0 comments: