There are days when I wonder what we got ourselves into, and question if there will be relief. I distract myself from reality by dreaming of far off homes with acreage, streaming water, and livestock. Or a home in the Pacific Northwest where the mountains meet the water, and the outdoor adventures are endless. Some days I imagine a bungalow in Chicago within walking distance, or a train ride, of great food and entertainment. Comfort is found in the places unknown until I realize what I'm faced with. Discontentment.

Precious time is wasted imagining the job transfers, new homes, and awaited change. My heart is longing for the contentment that only the Creator can give. My life is filled with moments, things, and people to be thankful for. And I am.

I am thankful for a loving and hardworking husband. For little superheros running through my house with "hand-gloves" on. My heart flutters to hear the early morning babbles coming from a magenta crib. While my hands clean our little home, I am beyond satisfied that there is less to clean leaving more time for play. I am humbled to have friends that take time to get to know me, and still love me once they see my flaws. More than anything I'm in awe of a gracious God that is refining me.

3 comments:

Aubs said...

Nicely said...

dixie-cricket said...

So true, Niccole. I find myself doing the same thing...thinking to myself "If only...then everything would be great". But if discontentment is my problem then it will follow me even to the most stately house on the most beautiful rolling hills that my imagination hopes in. And I miss the richeness of the blessings that I do have. Good post. Now you can remain my neighbor forever ;)

SuperNaturealRunner.blogspot.com said...

So beautifully written. I too oscillate between mountain privacy where my kids have the outdoors to go explore in and the hip convenience of an asthetic yuppy life in a loft near a city marketplace. The older i get the more I realize that family and friends are the only thing and everything that makes this life worth living. Money, fame, fortune - all that is nothing compared to having people who love you and having the opportunity to love and serve them.