For the last few weeks I have watched my flat stomach morph into a beautiful pregnant belly. I have grown increasingly aware of the blessing it is to have two amazing little boys and another child growing in my womb. There is no doubt in my mind that life begins at conception and that every child is a gift from God.

I believe abortion, apart from saving the woman’s life, is wrong at every level. To the dismay of my grieving heart, thousands of babies without a voice are murdered every year. Women are left emotionally scarred and physically empty, and somehow their life continues.

I am also a strong advocate of homebirth, and my right to choose where I will deliver my children. Hours have been spent educating and encouraging women to take charge of their pregnancies, labors and deliveries. I have all but shouted that our care providers work for us and in no way can tell us what to do with our bodies and babies.

Many people are horrified at my decision to labor and birth outside of the hospital. They ignorantly believe it to be more dangerous than birthing in a hospital, irresponsible for me to take an alternative route, and barbaric when hospitals have endless technology. Many of those people wear white coats, and sit on boards that the government listens to closely.

This is where two of my biggest passions collide. The upcoming elections are pressing down on my belief system. If I attempt to tell women, with my vote, what is or is not acceptable for them to do with their children, then I wonder how long it will be before someone does the same for me. When the government starts regulating women and their choices then all choices are challenged, and we’re all left at the mercy of what other people believe we should do.

I cannot pretend to have a solution, nor do I have this all thought out. However, as a Christian well informed on pregnancy and birth choices, I cling to the words of my pastor, “you will never legislate transformed lives.” The responsibility of ending abortion should not be entrusted to the government. Pro-life supporters should be laboring to educate and be a messenger of love, grace and mercy for those who are facing the choice to abort their babies. This action may keep the government from imposing their laws on my birth choices and children, and may keep thousands of babies who may have been aborted safe in their wombs.

Sadly enough, most Christians will feel like they did their part by voting for the pro-life candidate on Election Day and their conscience will be clear.

7 comments:

flemjitsu81 said...

I just found out you were preggers. WTF, Mate! Congratulations!!!

flemjitsu81 said...

Wait. I'm not Ryan. I'm Mooce. How the hell did that happen? Who the hell is ryan and why is he using my computer???

mooce said...

this is better. Ryan is now dead.

mooce said...

4 comments!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never thought of it like that. But you are so right. I'm impressed with your open heart and mind. Keep teaching me!

dixie-cricket said...

This is not well thought out, but I learn by throwing things out there and discussing them so here goes: I get what you are saying but I do think it is a bit different. Both abortion and homebirth have to do with babies and women's bodies but with abortion the mother is intentionally ending the babies life, where with homebirth the mother is at least attempting to act in what she sees as the best interest of the child. Whether or not mainstream culture agrees with the safety of homebirth, the motive of the homebirthing mother is clearly different than the motive of the mother seeking an abortion. Do you think that motive carries weight when it comes to these issues?

Niccole said...

dixie-cricket -

Abortion and homebirth are totally different and I recognize that. My concern with attempting to legislate women's wombs is where the line is drawn.

If out-of-hospital birthing continues on an upward trend I am concerned about who will yell the loudest, and then who will be heard. Hospitals and doctors will lose money to birth centers and midwives, and money is a strong motivater for most. Because there is not an American gynecological board that supports homebirth, and in fact most actively speak out against it, I worry that law makers will listen "in the best interest of the children" and outlaw where I choose to birth my children.

What would regulated homebirths look like in the future? Would we need to jump through hoops for exemptions the way we do if we choose to not vaccinate?

I also don't think that motive plays a part in forming this opinion. I think for most women choosing an abortion is the most difficult thing they could ever do. Some may selfishly choose to abort their babies, but I think the majority of abortions happen out of fear. Fear of not being able to provide for the child, or fear of the environment that the child would be raised in, etc.

Just as I am a loud activist for homebirths, I need to work even harder at loving women contemplating abortions. While voting is important, the most most impact would be made if pro-life supporters were out raising awareness on where and how to get help, and then financially supporting those organizations.

These situations are obviously hypotheticals, but maybe we should consider our choices when we start deciding for other women what to do with their bodies and their children. I will always be vehemently against abortion, and these two very different scenarios just gave me something to think about.