18-months-ago Brandon and I went through our entire house and began to throw away every chemical we could find. Being on a tight budget, I nearly had a heart attack but I knew this would be the only way we could make our home a little more safe. I have found that the switch has actually been more cost effective, and I feel better knowing my kids are in a clean non-toxic home.
Here Are Our Products:
- This cleans our counters, bathrooms, and floors
Baby/Body Soap: Dr. Bronner's Liquid or Bar Soap
Hand Soap: 1 teaspoon of Dr. Bronner's liquid in a foaming pump of water
Laundery Detergent: Charlie's Soap
Heavy Duty Cleaner (Shower/Tub): Charlie's Soap (getting ready to try this out but will report back)
- Scouring Powder when needed
- Exfoliater for body (including face)
Face Wash: Honey
Brandon and Niccole's Soap: Organic Oatmeal Soap/$1.36 a bar from Whole Foods (name has escaped me) or Dr. Bronner's bar soap
Niccole's Shampoo/Conditioner: Moment of Confession.... Bed Head "Control Freak"
- Without trying to justify I have truly tried so many brands of organic or SLS Free shampoos and conditioners and not one has done the job. I have thin hair but a massive amount of it, and my hair has been left oily (not normal for me), flat, or dry with non-toxic products. If anyone is reading this and has a recommendation please throw it at me.
A friend recently sent me two wonderful links that I thought I would share:
- Rates products by their toxicity. I have found many products that I thought were safe were actually a 3-4 on the list.
- Multiple lists of non-toxic products ranging from home and pet care to baby and body care.