8/01/2008

Cleaning Closet

|

18-months-ago Brandon and I went through our entire house and began to throw away every chemical we could find. Being on a tight budget, I nearly had a heart attack but I knew this would be the only way we could make our home a little more safe. I have found that the switch has actually been more cost effective, and I feel better knowing my kids are in a clean non-toxic home.

Here Are Our Products:

All Purpose Cleaner: Dr. Bronner's and Tea Tree Oil

  • This cleans our counters, bathrooms, and floors

Baby/Body Soap: Dr. Bronner's Liquid or Bar Soap

Hand Soap: 1 teaspoon of Dr. Bronner's liquid in a foaming pump of water

Laundery Detergent: Charlie's Soap

Heavy Duty Cleaner (Shower/Tub): Charlie's Soap (getting ready to try this out but will report back)

Baking Soda:

  • Scouring Powder when needed
  • Exfoliater for body (including face)

Face Wash: Honey

Brandon and Niccole's Soap: Organic Oatmeal Soap/$1.36 a bar from Whole Foods (name has escaped me) or Dr. Bronner's bar soap

Niccole's Shampoo/Conditioner: Moment of Confession.... Bed Head "Control Freak"

  • Without trying to justify I have truly tried so many brands of organic or SLS Free shampoos and conditioners and not one has done the job. I have thin hair but a massive amount of it, and my hair has been left oily (not normal for me), flat, or dry with non-toxic products. If anyone is reading this and has a recommendation please throw it at me.

A friend recently sent me two wonderful links that I thought I would share:

Skin Deep:

  • Rates products by their toxicity. I have found many products that I thought were safe were actually a 3-4 on the list.

Debra's List:

  • Multiple lists of non-toxic products ranging from home and pet care to baby and body care.

4 comments:

natalie said...

do you have a dishwasher? what do you use for dishwashing liquid?

Niccole said...

We do have a dishwasher but we rarely use it. I have noticed a decent decrease in our water bill and our electricity bill since we stopped. When I do run our dishwasher I put a mixture of 1/2 Borax and 1/2 Baking Soda and 2 tablespoons of Chlorox Oxy Magic where the dish powder goes. I also put vinegar where the Jet Dry would normally be placed.

I usually use the dish soap I can find on sale at Sprouts that is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) Free. SLS is what makes soap foam so it does take a while to get used to washing your dishes without a ton of suds.

natalie said...

great, thanks!! I don't think I'm at a point yet that I would stop using the dishwasher (like I said before--work takes up a lot of time, but I don't mind washing dishes, so when I slow down with work, I may try washing them myself!).
however, I think I am going to try to use my own detergent for the dishwasher...and turn off the drying part in the dishwasher! That's a lot of unneeded energy!
thanks for the help! :)

Jay and April said...

well, you asked if anyone had suggestions about hair products and while I wont use hardly anything else by melaleuca, I still love the shampoo and conditioner. I do think its safer than say , Pantene or Paul Mitchell but I know its not as all natural as Dr B's. Anyway, if you want to ry mine, you are welcome to. =)
Love your blog!! You inspire me, girl!